Sunday 28 October 2007

Markets for writers

I am often asked where I find places to submit to.

The answer to that is easy. I mix with other writers, we share market information. I also use listings such as PLACES FOR WRITERS and DUOTROPE, which are free. I do NOT pay for information that is free if you look for it.

Check PLACES FOR WRITERS out here.

Check DUOTROPE out here.

I’m sure there are others, but what makes Duotrope good is that it allows the writer to search for the right market for a specific piece of work, by genre, length, whether submissions are by email or mail, and most importantly… whether you will get paid for it.

Also (and Mimi will not like this…) there is an indication on most markets of the acceptance rate for submissions.

If a place accepts 90% of things that come through to it, then it is not as tough a market as one that accepts 1%.

So… if you are like me, and you are a writer that wants to start at the bottom and work upwards, start by sending your work to the places that accept a high proportion of submissions.

Then move on.

That is hard, the moving on bit. Because until you find your level, you have no acceptances for a while. But when you do you know you are sharpening your craft.

No comments: