Tuesday 19 May 2009

Words

Ive been a bit blocked writing the next bit of dear old Great oeuvre. So am keeping a note of wordcount for today here as I go, with the aim of doing a few thousand. (I am out for lunch talking about interesting writery stuff, and also out this evening at a charity supper where I am guest speaker... so don't have as much time as I'd like...)

Before putting kettle on: 414 words. 7.49 am
Going for brekkie: 747 words. 08.20 am
Takes a long time to read the paper, answer the phone... 927 words. 10.15 am
Hopeless habit: I go back and edit, get voice right, unwriting etc.. 1047 words. 11.32.
Fab. My characters are doing unplanned things.. 1249 wds 12.13
Break for lunch.. 1670 wds 13.04

4 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

I seem to be doing something similar... yet my increments are far smaller, 100 words at a time. Does it get better with practice??

Lauri said...

V you should be proud of those 1600 odd words- some take months just to get that far.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

T, I turn the screen off, and type without the feedback loop. Maybe that's the trick there?

Anyway, "its quality, not quantity" as the actress said ..

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Lauri, I AM. I just keep going back to make them a bit nicer... just got back, and checking in, lovely to get your messages! Onwards n upwards.