Thursday 4 December 2008

READING at RIDE THE WORD IV. and STEFAN ROMAN'S EXTRAORDINARY TALENT


(Pic lifted with permission from Stefan's webiste. Go THERE for a better view!)

Last night, I was one of five Salt writers who read in the extraordinary, terrific and stunning (did I like this place???) venue, called The Foundry, Great Eastern Road, somewhere in London. It's all roads, and lights and traffic to me. Thank the Lord for kind husband/chauffeur.

Think DARK. Think graffiti. Everywhere. Think atmosphere. Think a room below. A gallery. Was a foundry. A vast metal turntable in the foor. And on the walls, photographs. And what look like photographs but aren't. Vast pencil drawings.

Readers: Jane Holland, Jay Merrill, Vincent de Souza, Chris Cade, self, and a terrific presentation from a sparky beautifully produced lit mag called The Delinquent. The Editor spoke, and two poets read.

The theme was meant to be truck art. But I decided very fast that two of the works echoed in my head, so I changed my plans aand read a story called The Carob Tree. Spanish Civil War.



I read with this pencil drawing (huge... say 6ft by 4?) on my left. Perfect.

Please go and look at Stefan Roman's website HERE. He drives a lorry. With a camera at the ready. Oh, and in cae you think he's good, he should be. This guy was on a par with Ridley Scott at Hollywood.

2 comments:

Sarah Hilary said...

I've bookmarked that site, thanks, V.

Alex Keegan said...

Love the B&W tree "photo"