Thursday 18 December 2008

THANK YOU WORKHOUSE INMATES..........


COR BLIMEY!

EVEN MORE COR BLIMEY!!!!

I don't know what to say, really, except THANK YOU.

I just opened a big envelope - recorded delivery - a HUGE Chrissie card and a million book tokens, from the lovely inmates at The Fiction Workhouse.

Thanks guys. I will be able to buy a fabulous collection of poetry books... and am so pleased, surprised, and I nearly burst into tears like a daft old bat. What, Moi??

But the nicest thing is what you SAID in the card. I am now going to embarrass you!

All I did was create a workplace, somewhere for good writers to congregate and push each other to do better... YOU do the work. No teaching. I just configured something I thought would be good, and looks like it works. Am delighted. Really delighted.


Here's what you said, you SOPPY LOT.

Thank you so much for everything you have given me this year - not least the encouragement to keep going and keep improving...

Thanks for being a blessing to me...

With your help, it's been a great year.

Thank you for making The Fiction Workhouse the place it is...

Here's to shelves full of books, pages full of words...

I have learned a lot and gotten to know some brilliant and talented folk too...

Thank you for recommending me to The Workhouse. I am learning such a lot from all these wonderful writers..

What can I say? FW changed my life. Thanks...

Maybe we'll see you back in FW?

I wanted to thank you. I've learned so much since joining. All the writers are kind, helpful and gifted...

Thanks for setting up FW, and for providing us with a cool writing space!

Love from all at Fiction Workhouse...

Children used to be sent to The Workhouse because they were paupers. I was, in a way, when I arrived - not quite wealthy enough with language, or confident enough to use it effectively. I was also reclusive and hurt by criticism. Your skill, energy and sheer blunt ballsy attitude to writing has made me rich.

Without you and The Fiction Workhouse I would be a much lesser writer...


OK. That'll do. Get back to work!



(FW is an online space for writers of short and flash fiction who have already amassed some credits in publication or competition terms. It is specifically for those who are stretching their literary muscles. There is NO teaching. It is a collective. Entry is through some door or other. I no longer have the key as I am doing other stuff, but can have a word with the doorman. If writers are seeking teaching/mentoring this is NOT the right place.)

No comments: