Saturday 26 April 2008

Finishing Fish

After sleeping on it.

I read the last stories again. And the winner just got better and better. No worries at all about confirming that!

And the finalists too, one in particular... if there had been a runner up prize, it would have gone to this one.


A fantastic bunch of stories, the whole shortlist. I read 24. They will ALL find very good homes, I have no doubt of that.

I have no idea how many there were in total... but the numbers on the shortlisted pieces went up to a whisker off 900. Hats off to the Fish Readers!

6 comments:

Sarah Hilary said...

And hats off to you for finding that winning entry. It was really useful and interesting to read your previous post explaining how you reached the verdict - a very thorough and thoughtful process you pursued. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

pleasure.

I was looking for the usual things... clear voice, good characterisation, a 'story' as opposed to a single tableau, etc etc but also, that sense of meeting something I hadn't met before. Something that made me open my eyes and see the world a little differently.

and all in a page!

Tania Hershman said...

Yes, I echo that, very interesting to see your process. Now we want to know who won! 4 more days....

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Over to Fish!

Group 8 said...

Gosh, 24 seems very few out of 900, if you don't mind my saying so.
Thanks for the insight into your assessment process, V, it's really interesting.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

I have nothing to do with the process of reading, long listing and short listing. I'm just the final judge... thanks heavens!